This hot summer and intermittent rain has given us lush foliage in Chicago, so on the order of making hay while the sun shines, I decided to do more eco-printing and up-cycling of cellulose fibers this past week.
First up, my Mom gave me her old Jones, NY 100% cotton T-top and asked if I could “do something with it.” There were a few old food stains and some tiny blood spots, so why not try? Generally, the items I eco-print with the intent of up-cycling tend to be light colored tops that just need a dash of color. I had never before tried to dye a stained item.
I went ahead and scoured the top in Synthrapol, then mordanted it with alum acetate. And after rinsing again, I proceeded to lay out some leaves, including rose leaves, milkweed and loropetalum. After an hour or two of boiling, and an overnight rest, I was delighted with the results. My mom is tickled pink!
In the same pot, I eco-printed an old Hanro long-sleeved undershirt (100% cotton) that I wear in winter. I used the same scour and mordant process as above, but layered the shirt with false indigo (the yellow), some geranium and rose leaves. Again, very pleased!
Finally, I made myself a long skirt last week in 100% organic cotton jersey but had some leftover cloth when I trimmed the hem. Perfect for an infinity scarf! Scoured, mordanted and eco-printed with mostly geranium leaves.
I am having way too much fun without spending any money. I love it!!!