I finally took the opportunity to eco-print with my fresh eucalyptus over the weekend. Whole Foods surprised me last week with a small selection of eucalyptus branches. I recognized the shape immediately, and I was told by the manager of the floral department that they would be stocking eucalyptus through the Thanksgiving holidays.
Gathering my previously mordanted fabric scraps (wool and silk), I got a pot boiling and steamed the wool and silk, after laying out the eucalyptus leaves, along with a few wild rose leaves. I was pleased with the results, particularly the small scrap of dupioni silk (below, right). The wool was not as clearly printed (right), but I noted that my handmade white pre-felt was uneven in texture.
Not willing to quit while I was ahead, I decided to print two camisoles that I had previously mordanted and stored in the refrigerator this summer.
Both the silk camisole and sweet gathered cotton top printed well. They included eucalyptus, rose and geranium leaves.
Next time: Second Try with SunMoonStars