Project Cinq: Global Warming Complete ?

The stitching on my global warming panel is complete, but I am debating whether or not to add a title.  Global Warming?  Overused?  Getting stale? I don’t know.  What do you think?

Project Cinq: Global Warming…to Title or not?
Detail for Project Cinq: Global Warming Panel

Today I am making a WOAD vat.  Not easy to find information, although I have found a bit here and there.  I don’t have Woad leaves, which makes it a bit trickier.  Many resources give instructions for Woad leaves, but not so many for Woad powder, which is what I have to work with.  I’ve followed those instructions and the vat is ready.

Next time:  Woad results and Collage It.

Hope to hear from those of you who might suggest a title for Project Cinq.  Or not.

Advertisements

Global Warming: Collage It

blazing hot sun
torrential rains
Hurricane Harvey

Global warming has been on my mind, probably yours, too!  As I am an artist who designs “as she goes along,”  I had not noticed in particular that these 9-patch squares were heading towards Global Warming.  But as I added hand-embroidery over these past months, I have noticed a trend. There are torrential rains, blazing hot suns, greenhouse gases and hurricanes and tornadoes.  I will need to add flooding.  Next time: “how to collage.”

Project Cinq TBA
greenhouse gases

Project Quatre & Solar Eclipse & Global Warming

Happy to announce that Project Quatre is complete!  Or possibly near completion.  It isn’t until I actually photograph my work that I can begin to see the flaws.  You can’t really see the title clearly, so I may add some couching with a dark thread OR stitch alongside letters with partial accents of thread in a darker color.  Any thoughts on that? And then there is the very special event coming tomorrow:  the Solar Eclipse.  I won’t be watching because I didn’t think about the glasses until too late, but I have a vivid imagination.  So I will embroider my own Solar eclipse.  Finally, I am beginning to collect my thoughts on Global Warming and will make that the subject of my forthcoming posts.  All of these naturally-dyed cloths are collecting; and while they began as outreach for the Sun Moon Stars circle of stitchers (Jude Hill), they are evolving into a treatise on Global Warming.  Stay tuned.

Project Trois & Hidden Cloth

Although this cloth was completed a few months ago, I totally forgot about posting it here until now.  Yes, this was Project Trois, or the Interstellar Hand. You may remember it was among my WIPS.

In the meantime, I found what I call “hidden cloth.”  Really misplaced cloth.  This was cloth I dyed with Quebracho Red, a natural dye which produces lovely shades of red, raspberry, etc.  My cloth was natural linen–white and natural–which accounts for the mixed shades.

One of the pieces was stitched shibori style before dyeing.  I am glad I finally located these panels as I contemplate stitching another piece.

Stars: Playing With Cloth

Recently, I posted about playing with cloth, specifically the cloth samples my sis gifted to me.  I decided to make some stars with them.  Hand-embroidered stars.  For each star, I grabbed 2 or 3 squares and sewed them together by hand.  That provides a nice cushion for hand-embroidery, adds body to the square patch, and offers possibilities for future projects.  They could be added to art quilts, added to clothing as patches, or made into sachets.

What would you do with these stars?

Stars…Playing with Cloth

First Eco-Printing of the Season

Due to an extended vacation in Norway, I am late getting started on natural dyeing.  My dye plants were late getting planted.  And so I found myself at the beginning of July without having eco-dyed or printed.

To the rescue:  my younger sis, Shar, has been wanting to learn to eco-dye and print, so we scheduled a session last weekend.  Everything was set up here, and she scoured her T-shirts as directed.  When she arrived, we immediately mordanted her cotton clothing, allowing an hour or so for the process.  Yes, we could have used additional time, but we needed to get moving on the printing process.

I had previously prepared a pot of black walnut and pomegranate liquid, to which I added hot water and a pinch of logwood powder (Shar likes dark colors).  She rolled one shirt with fresh plant leaves only, using a bit of iron solution for dipping.  She rolled the second shirt shibori style with tiles, CD’s and other mark-makers.

We didn’t have all day to wait for the pot to do its magic, so I sent her home with the pot and instructions to leave all materials overnight. Results: