SunMoonStars: Beginning to Come Together

img_3004
The central sun

 

My second version of SunMoonStars is beginning to come together–finally!  I feel like I’ve been giving this way too much thought and not enough actual stitching.  However, composition is important.  I learned this from Jude Hill.

img_3002
SunMoonStars V.2

There’s been some thinking about half moons and constellations.  About lightening.  About use of color and color theory.  And all of this is good to think about.

I care very much how this turns out…for me.

img_3007

Advertisements

Second Chance for SunMoonStars

Unhappy with my first try on the SunMoonStars, I decided to start again with new cloth and new ideas.  I spent several days just “debuting” cloth. Thinking about it.  Just going along.

I decided on using linen cloth scrap, backed by old gauze cloth–both were dyed with black walnut last year.  I chose silk square samples, previously dyed by me.  But I only had six of them.

img_2937

So no 9-patch.  But I scrounged for other scraps–indigo-dyed linen and an indigo scrap over-dyed with chamomile.  There’s a small square of naturally-dyed organic cotton jersey as well.

Next time!

img_2940

img_2941

Gone crazy over fresh eucalyptus

I finally took the opportunity to eco-print with my fresh eucalyptus over the weekend.  Whole Foods surprised me last week with a small selection of eucalyptus branches.  I recognized the shape immediately, and I was told by the manager of the floral department that they would be stocking eucalyptus through the Thanksgiving holidays.

img_2945
Wool pre-felt eco-printed with eucalyptus and rose leaves

Gathering my previously mordanted fabric scraps (wool and silk), I got a pot boiling and steamed the wool and silk, after laying out the eucalyptus leaves, along with a few wild rose leaves.  I was pleased with the results, particularly the small scrap of dupioni silk (below, right).  The wool was not as clearly printed (right), but I noted that my handmade white pre-felt was uneven in texture.

Not willing to quit while I was ahead, I decided to print two camisoles that I had previously mordanted and stored in the refrigerator this summer.

Both the silk camisole and sweet gathered cotton top printed well.  They included eucalyptus, rose and geranium leaves.

img_2948

img_2947

Next time:  Second Try with SunMoonStars

img_2946
Silk scrap eco-printed with eucalyptus leaves

Contemplating Cloth: SunMoonStars

The fact is, I am not all that pleased with my SunMoonStars cloth.  It doesn’t look like I wanted it to be, like I had imagined it to be.  Perhaps I was imagining cloth similar to Spirit Cloth’s many lovely versions by Jude Hill.  Or perhaps like the ones I have seen within her Circle of friends.

I may need to begin again.  Start over.  With new/old cloth.

SunMoonStars in progress…but I may start over.
SunMoonStars in progress…but I may start over.  

But in the meantime, I hauled in two big scores this week:  black walnut hulls and florist’s eucalyptus.  Thank you, my son, Matt–for the walnuts. Thank you, Whole Foods, for finally stocking fresh eucalyptus.

Black walnuts, ready to be smashed and cooked
Black walnuts, ready to be smashed and cooked

I will be dyeing, boiling and eco-printing tomorrow.  And thinking about a new constellation for SunMoonStars.

Scored large at Whole Foods:  Fresh Eucalyptus for Dyeing
Scored large at Whole Foods: Fresh Eucalyptus for Dyeing

A 9-Patch: SunMoonStars & Constellations

My 9-patch is slowly blooming with suns, moons and just a few stars.  Stars have always been tricky for me.  I usually cheat and make the Jewish star with two triangles.  But here, for the 9-patch, no cheating.  A star made with bits and pieces.  And a growing constellation.

9-Patch Growing
9-Patch Growing
SunMoonStars Evolving
SunMoonStars Evolving

Patching together a slow-stitched journey to the Universe, I thought about Jude Hill’s idea of holes (Spirit Cloth)….looking through cloth to find stars.  I had a difficult time finding textiles in my house with holes.  But finally, a vintage, much-loved Huck towel with a few holes.  Made-on-purpose holes and a few not.  Thinking of adding to SunMoonStars as Constellations.  Maybe.  That means cutting the towel.  Maybe next time.

Holes in a vintage huck towel…Constellation?
Holes in a vintage huck towel…Constellation?

Ready Now for SunMoonStars

It’s been bothering me all week.  The pieces and scraps I had collected for my journey into space, or SunMoonStars Circle with Jude Hill and friends.  Nothing seemed right.  There wasn’t  a fit.

img_2910
Trying out cloth for the SunMoonStar Circle

So I dyed some more cloth.  No moon, star or sun shapes.  I plan to use hand-embroidery.

img_2898
Natural dyed cloth ready for piecing

Still didn’t seem right.

img_2909
Pinning, stitching seams…

Then I figured it out.

img_2912
Indigo dyed linen. Just right for the 9-patch backing. Ready now for SunMoonStars.

There’s nothing like a piece of indigo-dyed linen, thin, muted, soft–and just right for backing the 9-patch.  Ready.  Finally.  Ready for “Invisible Stitching.”