Happy to announce that Project Quatre is complete! Or possibly near completion. It isn’t until I actually photograph my work that I can begin to see the flaws. You can’t really see the title clearly, so I may add some couching with a dark thread OR stitch alongside letters with partial accents of thread in a darker color. Any thoughts on that? And then there is the very special event coming tomorrow: the Solar Eclipse. I won’t be watching because I didn’t think about the glasses until too late, but I have a vivid imagination. So I will embroider my own Solar eclipse. Finally, I am beginning to collect my thoughts on Global Warming and will make that the subject of my forthcoming posts. All of these naturally-dyed cloths are collecting; and while they began as outreach for the Sun Moon Stars circle of stitchers (Jude Hill), they are evolving into a treatise on Global Warming. Stay tuned.
Due to an extended vacation in Norway, I am late getting started on natural dyeing. My dye plants were late getting planted. And so I found myself at the beginning of July without having eco-dyed or printed.
To the rescue: my younger sis, Shar, has been wanting to learn to eco-dye and print, so we scheduled a session last weekend. Everything was set up here, and she scoured her T-shirts as directed. When she arrived, we immediately mordanted her cotton clothing, allowing an hour or so for the process. Yes, we could have used additional time, but we needed to get moving on the printing process.
I had previously prepared a pot of black walnut and pomegranate liquid, to which I added hot water and a pinch of logwood powder (Shar likes dark colors). She rolled one shirt with fresh plant leaves only, using a bit of iron solution for dipping. She rolled the second shirt shibori style with tiles, CD’s and other mark-makers.
We didn’t have all day to wait for the pot to do its magic, so I sent her home with the pot and instructions to leave all materials overnight. Results: