As the new eco-print and natural dyeing season approaches in Chicago, I have begun to focus on incorporating last season’s eco-printed fabric to my current wardrobe. One special piece continues to attract my attention. This was a scrap of silk which I eco-dyed with eucalyptus and rose leaves.
I gave serious thought about how I might use this piece to its best advantage. In the meantime, I remembered I had purchased organic cotton jersey, which I had used to make a few scarves.
This silk scrap seemed to go better with my purchased fabric. I am thinking of a tunic. The fabric needs to be washed first. I also found some naturally-dyed lace from last season, and if I decide to go ultra-feminine, there might be some lace added as well. Stay tuned!
I finally took the opportunity to eco-print with my fresh eucalyptus over the weekend. Whole Foods surprised me last week with a small selection of eucalyptus branches. I recognized the shape immediately, and I was told by the manager of the floral department that they would be stocking eucalyptus through the Thanksgiving holidays.
Gathering my previously mordanted fabric scraps (wool and silk), I got a pot boiling and steamed the wool and silk, after laying out the eucalyptus leaves, along with a few wild rose leaves. I was pleased with the results, particularly the small scrap of dupioni silk (below, right). The wool was not as clearly printed (right), but I noted that my handmade white pre-felt was uneven in texture.
Not willing to quit while I was ahead, I decided to print two camisoles that I had previously mordanted and stored in the refrigerator this summer.
Both the silk camisole and sweet gathered cotton top printed well. They included eucalyptus, rose and geranium leaves.